Firebrand Technologies, located in beautiful downtown Newburyport, MA, is a software and technology service company for the book publishing industry. Firebrands wear many hats, are not afraid to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty, and embrace the never-ending technical challenges in the book industry with enthusiasm and a sense of purpose.
Unfortunately, we do not offer relocation benefits or sponsor visas. US citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the US are encouraged to apply, but we are unable to sponsor H1b candidates at this time.
Our company is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis [“protected class”] including but not limited to: veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.
Please, no agency responses; they will be summarily deleted.
Senior Software Engineer (PHP/Symfony)
We are Firebrand Technologies, a software and technology services company that has been helping publishers handle their internal workflows, digital distribution, and marketing efforts for over 30 years.
If you love books and building things on the web, we are sure you would enjoy:
- Building web-based tools used by book publishers to make their job easier
- Releasing code often and getting immediate real world feedback
- Coding in PHP with Symfony and deploying to Amazon Web Services
- Working either remotely or in our office in Newburyport, MA
Our team is currently building a service that monitors changes in book data across selected retail sites. When we detect a problem with one of our clients’ titles, we alert them and help them proactively address it. We face interesting challenges in back-end processing, query optimization, building efficient user interfaces, producing actionable data visualizations and reports, and in other areas across all levels of the application stack.
With this and other exciting projects underway, it’s a great time to join the Firebrand team!
At Firebrand, you will:
- Contribute directly to the architecture and implementation of multiple Symfony-based PHP projects
- Work with and occasionally contribute to open source software packages that we use in our projects
- Build automated functional and unit tests
- Participate in agile planning sessions using Jira and related tools
- Document useful practices and tools to share with the team
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 4+ years of experience with modern enterprise PHP code and automated testing
- Experience with the Symfony framework (version 4+)
- Experience with database development and optimization (we use PostgreSQL and MongoDB)
- Experience with Scrum or other agile processes, and with Jira or similar tools
- Excellent communication skills
This position is either remote from anywhere in the continental United States with occasional travel required, or based out of our office in Newburyport, MA, depending on your preference.
No relocation assistance or visa sponsorship available.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
No agency responses.
To apply for this position please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.